Friday, September 30, 2011

How Not to Starve at College - Pumpkin Cheesecake!

Erica Knauss contributes an awesome recipe this week.  Take a look!!!

I grew up in a family that is centered around baking. My grandfather was a cook in the Navy and later on, owned and ran his own bakery with my grandmother. My dad, and his brothers would each take turns working in the bakery when they grew up. My dad was the one who spent the most time there learning all he could which he passed on to me. I grew up baking with my father, and later working as a cook before attending SVA. In the summer of 2010, I shadowed at a bakery, working from 12am-9am. It was fun, despite becoming nocturnal. At some point in my college life I wanted to go to culinary school so I randomly applied one summer and was accepted into the Culinary Institute of America. I didn't go, and continued at SVA with the idea that some point in my future I would be able to do both graphic design and baking. I think I just wanted to feel that, going would always be an option. To compensate I ran a food blog my junior year, with much success. It was sort of my way to get the best of both worlds, art and baking. This year I am moving from my tumblr, to coding my own website, "How To Not Starve In College".  Look out for it this spring! 


 I bake often when I'm stressed out and then I share all the food with my friends. I try to be flexible with what I bake, taking notice of friends who can't eat eggs, or possibly want to try something vegan. I've made vegan chocolate chip cookies that are pretty delicious. I also like to try to work with something that is seasonal, easy to find, and even sold at the Greenmarket in Union Square. If you don't go there this fall you will be missing out on so many delicious things. The over abundance of apples being sold in the market is amazing. You can purchase all sorts of apple desserts, hot or cold spiced apple cider, and of course, the ever amazing Apple Cider doughnuts. There are also a ton of pumpkins during the fall (duh!), and the best way to make a pumpkin pie, is with a fresh pumpkin. It's delicious. As soon as fall is market on the calendar I am already looking around for the newest ways to cook with pumpkin. I made this recipe last fall, and I am sure I will make it again. It calls for canned pumpkin just is case you don't want to get a real pumpkin. (Baking pumpkins are not the orange ones, they are white) So take a short study break and make something comforting, just don't eat it all. Share, make some friends, and even a few memories from your time in the Gramercy Residence. Don't let our amazing kitchens go to waste!



For the recipe for this awesome Pumpkin Cheesecake, click Read More!

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crust:

1 1/2 cups graham crumbs
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 Tbsp. sugar


Filling:
3- 8oz.pkgs. cream cheese, softened (24oz)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
Whipped Cream

Mix crust ingredients together, just till coated and crumbly. Press onto the bottom and 2/3 up the sides of an 8” springform pan. Bake for 5 min. at 350. Set aside. If you don't have a springform pan, you can use a regular pie pan, you just will have to cut your pie from the pan and it won't be sitting freely. 

Combine cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer. If you don't have one this part will just take time. I don't have one at school so I mix a little bit at a time, and also get a good arm workout. Add the pumpkin, eggs, and spices, beat till smooth and creamy. Pour into the crust. Bake for 60-70 min. or till the top turns a bit darker. Remove from oven and allow to come to room temperature, then refrigerate. After it has thoroughly chilled, remove the pan sides and cut. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis