So here are my Top 5 Songs for Anticipating Summer, both old and new:
1. "First Date" - Blink 182. This is the absolute essential summer song that will never die. Blink 182 is made for summer and during any other season I think they're repetitive and annoying. But if it's hot out, I'm jamming to this song on repeat.
2. "Point/Counterpoint" - Streetlight Manifesto. Shout out to my brother, who put this song on a perfect summer mix he made for me called Ska Ska Ooh La La (as a homage to my favorite Queen Gaga). Gang vocals and trumpets are all I need, baby. This song goes on as soon as I get in my car, every time, without fail.
3. Every Song Ever - Katy Perry. Seriously. We all know Katy is the queen of summer anthems ("Hot N Cold"? "California Girls"? Perf.) which is why I'm already dancing around to "Part of Me", her new single she debuted at the Grammys. Maybe her breaking up with Russell Brand is a sign of good things to come?
4. "Homeless" - Dia Frampton. No, I will not stop pushing her on this blog. The song title sounds incredibly depressing, but it's a catchy little love song that is perfect for those end-of-spring, almost-summer days.
5. "Here's To Us" - Halestorm. If you watch Glee, you probably watched New Directions do a way-too-cheesy version of this song this week at Regionals or whatever. Halestorm is a metal band that I have loved forever. Their singer is a bad ass bitch with tattoos and an amazing guitar. Trust me, their original version is much better, and I will be playing this song as soon as my thesis ends in celebration of coming out alive.