Monday, November 14, 2011

Badass Banana Bread


I'm not gonna lie, I'm as busy as the next art student. I have class Monday through Friday, and I have shoots and homework assignments every weekend. But all work and no play makes Twig a very irritable person. So, I play when I can. One of the best ways to do this, is to combine it with something else I already have to do. Like eat. I've already shared my favorite cookie recipe with y'all, so I thought I might move on to something a little more practical for eating on the daily.

After attending the Gramercy Goes Bananas program, I become the inheritor of a few lovely bananas. I tend to forget about fruit sometimes, so they were just starting to go ripe when I remembered their existence and decided upon their final fates. Without further ado, I give you my recipe for the most simple and badass banana b
read! It takes about five minutes to whip together, an hour to bake, and seconds to scarf down fresh out of the oven.

BADASS Banana Bread

Ingredients:
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed (I go with 4 because I like a little extra banana bam!)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar (you can do 3/4 cup if you need to watch the sugar!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
cinnamon sugar (optional, but super delici
ous!)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas, and slowly add the melted butter. Next, mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the bowl and stir in. Add the flour last, and mix. There's really no need for a mixer, just use some good old fashioned muscle power. Pour th
e mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. You can butter the pan using a small pad of butter, wiping the inside walls and bottom of the pan until a super thing layer covers them. Here's where you use the secret weapon, cinnamon sugar. Taking a nice dash (about 1 teaspoon), sprinkle over the top of the uncooked loaf. It will bake into the top of the loaf, adding a nice cinnamon kick to the crust. Bake for one hour, and let cool.

That's my masterpiece.

A good trick to know when it's done baking is to take a small toothpick, stick it as far into the loaf as you can, and remove it. If it has gooey mixture attached to it, you know the insides of the loaf haven't fully baked yet. If small crumbs, or better yet, nothing, is attached to the toothpick, you're done! When you remove it from the pan, you can slice it up and serve it hot, or add spread some peanut butter on it for a truly yummy experience that will have your taste buds going bananas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis