Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Good 'Ole Southern Comfort



They say that the surest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Coming from a girl that grew up around cowboys with large hearts (and even larger stomaches), I can attest to the basic sentiment of that statement being true. And that basic truth is, we all love food.

Some people love to try new foods, some people really love certain foods, and some of us really enjoy making food. Not only am I from Texas, I'm also Italian. Many a holiday I have spent my time rolling out pasta, taste-testing sauces, or forking raviolis closed. It's a surefire way to bring people together, and it tastes pretty damn good too.

Lately, I've been really into baking. Cookies, cupcakes, you name it. If you live near me, you might have even run into me while I have a batch in the oven. I know I made a few residents try my latest favorite recipe, the simple cake cookie. Or as I like to call it, THE BEST FREAKIN' COOKIES EVER. I would like to share this recipe with y'all as I find it both delicious, and comforting. Make a batch with your roommates, or surprise them and share them over some cold milk (or soymilk) and contemplate just how sweet life can be.

(See what I did there?)


Twig's Really Freakin' Awesome Cake Cookies

Ingredients:
1 pound (4 sticks-Very Paula Deen, I know...) butter or margarine, cut up.
2 and 3/4ths cups (11 oz.) All purpose flour
1 pkg. White Cake Mix (NOT the 'super moist' brand)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, microwave 2 sticks of butter on HIGH for 1 minute. Using a knife, cut the other two sticks into the bowl. Allow the butter to stand 3-4 minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, in another large bowl, add the measured flour and cake mix together, careful to break up any lumps. Pour butter all at once into the dry ingredients, throughly scrape the butter from the bowl, and mix the batter until all ingredients are incorporated and the dough is smooth. Either roll the dough into small balls and place on cookie sheet, or roll out using flour and use cookie cutters to create shapes. Baking time is approximately 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies turn gold.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis